"Alternative" art first caught my attention a couple of years ago when I visited a small gallery in London that exhibited shit work - literally I mean: sculptures, a lot of them, made by what I recall being a Spanish or South American artist who employs faecis and turn them into art objects. Then there was a dog by the same artist, whom he let die of starvation while calling the process "modern art".

***

The Tate has just bought some William Blake hand-made pictures. The inscription for one of them, depicting a naked man clasping his head in pain as he is consumed by flames, reads: "I sought Pleasure & found Pain." My thought exactly every morning when I go to work; I wonder if I also look the same. The museum paid £441m for these pieces.



Friday 23 December 2011

Viva Gil: A Book In The Making By Andre Camara

I’m logistically challenged and it took me about an hour to get to the Brazilian Embassy for the private viewing of the pictures of Gilberto Gil by André Camara.

By the way, in case you ever happen to go there, please note that there’s a lovely garden in Belgrave Square.
Don’t follow your instinct - like I did - and enter because it’s actually only for residents.

To get out, I had to run after the only guy who was walking his dog and ask him to let me out ...


The images of Gil are great and the opening was good but I was feeling out of breath in the 'basement' where the pictures are up.

Don’t go when it’s too hot or if you know you can easily have a panick attack.

No comments:

Post a Comment