"Alternative" art first caught my attention a couple of years ago when I visited a small gallery in London that exhibited shit work - literally I mean: sculptures, a lot of them, made by what I recall being a Spanish or South American artist who employs faecis and turn them into art objects. Then there was a dog by the same artist, whom he let die of starvation while calling the process "modern art".

***

The Tate has just bought some William Blake hand-made pictures. The inscription for one of them, depicting a naked man clasping his head in pain as he is consumed by flames, reads: "I sought Pleasure & found Pain." My thought exactly every morning when I go to work; I wonder if I also look the same. The museum paid £441m for these pieces.



Monday 11 January 2010

Tate buys William Blake hand-finished pictures for £441,000

I am a fan of William Blake and probably an entire generation of people who listened to Jim Morrison and The Doors are too.

Still for some reason (such as thirld world starvation for instance) I believe the Tate, the Patrons and whoever were a little carried awaya to spend such an amount on his work.

At the same time, I wonder how the guy who randomly found them at a second hand books sale must have felt.

According to The Telegraph: "The inscription for one of them, depicting a naked man clasping his head in pain as he is consumed by flames, reads: "I sought Pleasure & found Pain." That's what I think every morning when I go to work, by the way.

The full article can be read here.

No comments:

Post a Comment