"Alternative" art first caught my attention a couple of years ago when I visited a small gallery in London that exhibited shit work - literally I mean: sculptures, a lot of them, made by what I recall being a Spanish or South American artist who employs faecis and turn them into art objects. Then there was a dog by the same artist, whom he let die of starvation while calling the process "modern art".

***

The Tate has just bought some William Blake hand-made pictures. The inscription for one of them, depicting a naked man clasping his head in pain as he is consumed by flames, reads: "I sought Pleasure & found Pain." My thought exactly every morning when I go to work; I wonder if I also look the same. The museum paid £441m for these pieces.



Sunday 10 January 2010

What Is Art? - 1




German philosopher Immanuel Kant set the basis for the Western tradition of how we look at and conceive of art with his text "Critique of Judgment" published in 1790.

For Art to exist, audience's subjectivity must participate, according to Kant. Art is not something in itself. Kant, differently from Plato who advanced the idea that man can not experience "truth" and "reality" and that art is bad since it is based on sensations, believes that art has a fundamental role and can create a special and spiritual aesthetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment