"Alternative" art first caught my attention a couple of years ago when I visited a small gallery in London that exhibited shit work - literally I mean: sculptures, a lot of them, made by what I recall being a Spanish or South American artist who employs faecis and turn them into art objects. Then there was a dog by the same artist, whom he let die of starvation while calling the process "modern art".

***

The Tate has just bought some William Blake hand-made pictures. The inscription for one of them, depicting a naked man clasping his head in pain as he is consumed by flames, reads: "I sought Pleasure & found Pain." My thought exactly every morning when I go to work; I wonder if I also look the same. The museum paid £441m for these pieces.



Monday 24 May 2010

The Market of Ideas

Walking from Tate Britain to Tate Modern is a great experience - a little less if you are wearing high heels as I was ...

But the view on the river, Westminster and finally the Southbank was well worth the pain!

At Tate Britain in Pimlico the Henry Moore exhibition is on till the beginning of August.

It's worth a visit, at least to have a thought on why men have been so obsessed by the reclining female body throughout the centuries.

Right in front of Tate Britain my friend and I saw a gathering of people and signs indicating “The Market of Ideas”

Based on the model of the ancient bazaar, that is also the inspiration for social media today, the Market was set up to stimulate people to exchange knowledge and share ideas with a peer-to-peer approach.

Critical Practice, a cluster of artists, researchers and academics hosted by Chelsea College of Art and Design, organized the event, which took place in a structure designed by Aleksandra Wasilkowska, a Warsaw-based architect.

I think the concept was good and it will be interesting to see what came out of the day, considering that the organization states to be "concerned by the threat of the instrumentalization of the artistic field through the internalization of corporate values, methods and models." *

The Talkaoke was a live debate about ideas and how to share them. I was randomly invited to join the discussion at the table. However the host-guy took the mike away from me after my comment.

He pointed out that we should be able to have a conversation without talking about menstrual blood, which I agree with. It's just that the other night I was reading an article about a student, Jessica Chow, and how she used tampons for her artwork.

I thought it was funny, or disgusting, or most probably both. I am also sure somebody else must have done this before, uh?

When I left the table, we met an Irish guy from Cork. Our chat was something like this in The Snatch ... Except he couldn't understand me either ...

What I found sweet at the Market was a space called “Second-Hand knowledge”, a tent dedicated to dispose of our outdated concepts and ideas.

Sometimes you think you know everything about yourself, and then something bugs you or you meet somebody unexpectedly and you are not sure about who you are anymore...

So, as I am afraid I don't have so much knowledge to get rid of yet, I Just gave up of the illusion of knowing myself...

*Here are some links to the pictures

No comments:

Post a Comment