"Alternative" art first caught my attention a couple of years ago when I visited a small gallery in London that exhibited shit work - literally I mean: sculptures, a lot of them, made by what I recall being a Spanish or South American artist who employs faecis and turn them into art objects. Then there was a dog by the same artist, whom he let die of starvation while calling the process "modern art".

***

The Tate has just bought some William Blake hand-made pictures. The inscription for one of them, depicting a naked man clasping his head in pain as he is consumed by flames, reads: "I sought Pleasure & found Pain." My thought exactly every morning when I go to work; I wonder if I also look the same. The museum paid £441m for these pieces.



Thursday 27 May 2010

Save Middlesex Philosophy!

I have just taken these pictures in front of the University of Middlesex where students are protesting against the closure of the department of philosophy ...

Philosophy = from the Greek φιλοσοφία [philosophia], which literally means "love of wisdom" ...




No comments:

Post a Comment