"Alternative" art first caught my attention a couple of years ago when I visited a small gallery in London that exhibited shit work - literally I mean: sculptures, a lot of them, made by what I recall being a Spanish or South American artist who employs faecis and turn them into art objects. Then there was a dog by the same artist, whom he let die of starvation while calling the process "modern art".

***

The Tate has just bought some William Blake hand-made pictures. The inscription for one of them, depicting a naked man clasping his head in pain as he is consumed by flames, reads: "I sought Pleasure & found Pain." My thought exactly every morning when I go to work; I wonder if I also look the same. The museum paid £441m for these pieces.



Tuesday 11 May 2010

When Art Met Politics

First of all, I would have certainly voted for Mr. Gordon Brown had I had the opportunity, or a British passport.

A pity vote is like a pity fuck: it makes you feel better about yourself afterwards.

How come people didn't understand this was going to happen? It was just too tempting.

Beside this, I just thought I'd share my interest for this new exhibition: 'Glasnost: Soviet Non-Conformist Art from the 1980's'.

This exhibition is about the unofficial art that emerged in the final years of the Soviet Union and that mocked and subverted the conformist art of the time. (Just like the attached 'Gorby').

Weren't the Eighties great?

Well for music at least.

Not that I was there...


No comments:

Post a Comment