"Alternative" art first caught my attention a couple of years ago when I visited a small gallery in London that exhibited shit work - literally I mean: sculptures, a lot of them, made by what I recall being a Spanish or South American artist who employs faecis and turn them into art objects. Then there was a dog by the same artist, whom he let die of starvation while calling the process "modern art".

***

The Tate has just bought some William Blake hand-made pictures. The inscription for one of them, depicting a naked man clasping his head in pain as he is consumed by flames, reads: "I sought Pleasure & found Pain." My thought exactly every morning when I go to work; I wonder if I also look the same. The museum paid £441m for these pieces.



Monday 10 May 2010

10 Questions to Federica Rossi


As an Italian, there's so much I can feel ashamed about: mafia, Berlusconi (did I just repeat myself?), chattering too loud...

... But there's also a lot I can be proud of! Think of the Romans!

Federica Rossi has awakened that proud still latent corner within me that screams: "Yes, I am Italian."

I have met Federica briefly at the Italian Cultural Institute in London, which is located in a beautiful area of the city where you won't be able to find a kebab place for miles.

This is also where her first exhibition ever in the UK is currently on. In fact, while she has showcased her paintings several times in the US and in Italy, she is new to the London scene.

1) What inspires you?

All that moves my soul ... It's too banal to say resentments and emotions. I am interested in exploring the 'why', the dark sides of the moon, the wind messing with my thoughts, the perfume of freshly cut grass or even the simple consciousness of being alive.

2) What do you want to communicate with your paintings?

I try to provide a reading key for who's watching so that they can understand the path of my thoughts, where they originated, and which road they have walked to ultimately get to the end work. After all just the flapping of some wings can initiate a hurricane on the other side of the world.

3) Do you employ a particular technique?

Yes, I create an effect of crevices with powders and the illusory effect of scruff directly on the canvas.

4) Is there anybody who was very close to you and helped you in making your dreams come true?

It all started from within, because since I was a kid I found art was the best medium for me to communicate both with the outside world and myself. Luckily my family has always approved and followed my choices.

5) Is there anybody you consider your role model or somebody you admire in particular?

I have admiration for all that are able to create their own particular artistic language and so set themselves apart from everybody else.

6) What does the fact that you are Italian mean for your work, especially when you are abroad?

I meet people who welcome me with a lot of enthusiasm and probably appreciate my Latin roots.

7) Have you noticed any difference in the art scene of the US, the UK and Italy?

In the UK I have noticed a lot of openness to novelties and to new artistic trends, with a sharp attention to the techniques and the professionalism. The US offer very strong contaminations with the need, also extreme at times, for artistic novelty. In Italy instead we are still under the effect of the classics because of our long and ancient history.

8) How would you define the art world in 2010? Do you have two words that come immediately to your mind?

True and false.

9) You worked as an art director in advertising and it seems that art is more and more becoming opened to this world. What do you think of modern art today?

We must watch any artistic form with a lot of attention and care.

10) Do you think there's still a line between 'high art' and popular culture?

The great masters have made history; we have the duty to build the future.

2 comments: